NCAA Basketball Odds: Boston College Eagles @ Maryland Terrapins
Thursday, February 16, 2012
by Mike Stewart
Maryland Terrapins still has its eyes on reaching the NCAA Tournament, so the Terrapins can’t afford to slip up against one of the ACC’s bottom feeders.
Maryland has lost three of four, but is 11-3 at home and needs to build some momentum for a schedule that features four teams with RPI rankings in the top 35 among the final six games.
Boston College Eagles appeared ready to turn the corner with a win over nationally ranked Florida State, but let Virginia Tech off the hook in overtime. The Eagles have lost seven of their last eight and haven’t won an ACC road game. This is the only meeting this season.
Boston College Eagles (8-17): The Eagles start four freshmen and transfer guard Matt Humphrey, who leads the team with 10.4 points per game. Boston College lives and dies by the 3-pointer as no team in the ACC has tried more. The Eagles have made 34.1 percent from beyond the arc. The team’s goal is to make 10 treys per game. Freshman Ryan Anderson (9.9 points, 6.8 rebounds) is starting to develop his inside-outside game and Dennis Clifford, a 7-foot center who averages 9.2 points, has shown some nice moves around the basket. Guard Jordan Daniels has committed only 19 turnovers over the last 10 games and handed out a team-best 31 assists.
Maryland Terrapins (14-10): Sophomore Terrell Stoglin will need to return to form. The ACC’s leading scorer (21.6) managed only 13 points on 4-of-16 shooting in the loss to Duke, but is the only player in the league with more than one 30-point game and he’s scored at least 20 points in 17 games. Freshman Nick Faust is coming off his best all-around game, matching his season-high with 15 points and nabbing a career-best eight rebounds. James Padgett has earned a reputation for being around the offensive boards. Of his 135 rebounds, 85 are on the offensive end (second in the ACC). Padgett has also improved his free throw percentage to 57.7 this season, up 11.1 percent.
1. In a pregame ceremony, Maryland will add a banner to honor Ernie Graham for setting the school’s single-season scoring record of 44 points in 1978.
2. Boston College is 0-11 when its opponent shoots between 40-49 percent.
3. Maryland missed its first 10 3-pointers and made only 1 of 14 against Duke.
NCAA BASKETBALL PREDICTION: Terrapins 73, Eagles 57.
- NCAA Basketball Picks: Virginia Cavaliers at Maryland Terrapins
- NCAA Basketball Picks: Maryland Terrapins vs Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
- NCAA Betting Odds: Miami Hurricanes and Maryland Terrapins
- Projections Picks and Odds: Duke Blue Devils vs Boston College Eagles
- NCAA Basketball Odds: Boston College Eagles vs Virginia Tech Hokies